Friday, July 5, 2013

Day 1: The Longest Day


It has been 5 years since we hit the road, as a family, for an extended period of time. Therefore, Husband and I decided it we high time to do some exploring. This time, we have opted to hit the US West Coast.

Got up at a ridiculous 4 am to catch a 7 am flight, but that meant landing in Los Angeles at 9am, so once we had our luggage and a rental car, we had the entire day ahead of us to explore.

First stop was the La Brea Tar Pits, where we explored the working excavation site and museum home to many animals who got stuck in the tar and ate each other.  Both Bug and Bird enjoyed posing for pictures as saber tooth tigers, vultures, or what not.

As it turns out, we didn't exactly park where we were supposed to. The Tar Pits have their own parking lot...but there is an art museum next door with its own parking too. We got mixed up and unfortunately had to pay to park.

BUT, it also meant we got to visit LACMA, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. This museum is HUGE, with both paid and free exhibits. We looked at many of the free sculptures, especially in their outdoor sculpture garden. Bird, our resident artist, loved this in particular.

After these cultural experiences, it was time for some shopping!  We headed up to the Groves...specifically the American Girl store.  Bird had no idea, and when she realized where we were going, she was super excited! She had her doll with her, and we spent about an hour in the store, just following her around as she explored.  Bug was such a good sport that we followed this up with a window-shopping trip to the candy store across the street.

Finally, we checked into our hotel, but we still had one more place to go: the Santa Monica Pier!!  Kids were thrilled at the chance to see the Pacific Ocean and lost no time diving in. Unfortunately, we didn't really think this was around 5:30pm when we arrived, so we didn't bring swimsuits or extra clothes or anything, and wet pants make for cranky kids. Our day ended with a quick dinner (burgers), a hot bath, and a crash into bed...16 hours after we started.

Post a Comment