Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Umbrella Cake (baby shower)

Judging by my sitemeter, folks like to look at cakes! Considering I do a fair share of looking around at them myself, why not post more?!

This is a cake I did for a baby shower:


The top of the umbrella is a chocolate (most likely Devil's Food!) cake cooked in a 9x13 pan. I drew the umbrella shape onto a piece of paper & then cut it out to trace over the cake. The frosting is homemade, and I did just use regular food coloring for the blue since I wanted it to be a nice pastel.

The umbrella handle and all the babies (It's raining babies! Ha! I'm so easily amused!) are yellow cupcakes - the handle being mini-cupcakes & the babies regular size. I used a different cake flavor here because the party was for a playgroup, so the moms got the chocolate & the kids got the cupcakes. I used Wilton dyes for the skintone, and that black gel icing you can get at the grocery store for their faces. If you click on the picture, you can tell that I tried to experiment with different facial expressions. It didn't go well, so we ended up with lots of smiling babies instead!

No comments: