Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year

Hello and Happy 2009!!!

I must say, we had a fantastic holiday. Had some family over for the holiday itself, and for the most part, everything was low-key and went smoothly. The day after Christmas, we packed up the kids & spent the past week in a condo across town - a "vacation at home," so to speak. It was wonderful - no computers, no work, and no obligations - just spending time alone with each other.

So here we are, on the tip of a new year. I suppose I could say something pithy, like 'here we are, on the edge of something new & full of promise'. But really, isn't that true of every day?

For whatever reason, as I catch up on my reading... I repeatedly see folks setting goals & making resolutions. I'm not a fan of making resolutions (I break them all too quickly), and I do set goals, but it's on a constant revisionist basis.

Then this post came to mind. Yes, from two years ago. For those who'd rather not click over, the gist of the article challenged readers to pick one word as your theme for the new year.

I didn't think much of it that year (considering she posted rather late in 2007 for resolutions), and I didn't really want to do it last year either.

And yet, a word has been weighing on my mind for a while now, and I think the time has come to designate my theme for the year.

FEARLESS

I rather wonder at the motivation of some of my decisions as of late, and have decided that living a life of fear - in any form - is not worth it.

We should be running towards something, rather than running away from something. There really is a difference.

So, my theme as my goal has been set, and here are some verses to help remind me of my focus throughout the course of the year:

Romans 8:15 - For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

I John 4: 17-19 - By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us.

Philippians 1:27-28 - Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all three of those verses... great post!

I love the "vacation at home" idea, too... I'm filing that one away for later!

Happy New Year!

. said...

Happy New Year to you and your family.

Great word for 2009 too.

xMx