Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Toot, Toot!

My regular chem class is a little surprising this year - there are only 15 of them (my Honors is bigger, for once. 25! eek!), half of whom are seniors. It makes for interesting dynamics because a) they're chattier, and b) their work is... haphazard at times. I'm glad they decided to challenge themselves in their last year of high school, but it does keep me on my toes!!

After class on Monday one of my senior girls asked me if I remembered a former student. I did (yay! memory still intact); I taught him chemistry, and then he was in my very first section of physics. I mention this because that first year of physics was a class that kicked me to the curb - content wise. There were so many days I told them I'd get back to them with answers to their questions, run home, get Husband to explain it to me, and then go back and explain it to them.

Anyhow, to make a long story short (too late?!), she told me about a conversation she'd had with him. She told him that she was in my chemistry class, at which point he told her, "Pay attention to everything she says. You will never again hear anybody explain anything so well."

Wow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awesome of her to pass that along!

My principal told me one time that she knew teaching was a gift from God - not everyone has the ability to take large chunks of complex information and break it down so that students can understand it. I sort of sat there thinking, "They don't?" I think she read my face because, she said, "No, they don't. You do."

That's when I knew it really was a gift - because I'd had it all my life and didn't even know it!

It might be the same for you!

Lou said...

Aww how lovely; I can only hope that one of my future students will say that about me one day! x

Anonymous said...

Jaime, That is awesome!! What a boost for you! You are one of THOSE teachers!