Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day 22: Crossing Into Florida

Saturday, June 28

Fast Facts
Starting: Mississippi
Ending: Florida
Today's Mileage/Total Mileage: 254 mi (408 km)/5080 mi (8175 km)

WHOOP WHOOP! We really passed the 5000 mile mark today!! (I fixed yesterday's entry. Apparently this trip is getting to me - I can't even read a simple calendar anymore!)

And let me tell you, THIS was a happy occasion!



Since this was to be our last night away from home, Husband & I had pondered the idea of just getting a hotel room instead of camping. It would be nice, we said, to be able to get some of that "trip dirt" off ahead of time - not to mention sleep in real beds with real air conditioning.

But in the end, we're cheap and had already had a few unexpected expenses, so we decided to just stay camping.

We stayed at a place just west of Tallahassee, and kind of regretted it. It was nice enough, but it kind of felt like the place was conspiring against us.

- ALL the roads were dirt. Which meant you were tracking it everywhere.

- the folks to the right were heavy chain smokers (blech!)

- the folks to the left had loud yapper dogs, who were not always leashed
(here I am, stuck in the middle with you!)

- this was one of the few places that was not spraying for bugs

- then, there were the FOUR kittens. I have no idea how the kittens came to be at this camp, but they lived there and the owners were feeding them. no collars (so probably no shots either), and they went where they pleased.

And where they pleased was our site. Making meals very amusing - and not in a funny way. I can't tell you how many times I threw that blasted cat off our table. (and yes, by the end I was throwing the cat. Not like anybody was claiming the stupid thing.) Fortunately, I'd made the kids plenty wary of the things & they wouldn't touch them. But still.... blah....

Strangely enough, the AC did work at this place.

No comments: