Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Potato Skins

I mentioned a while back that I made potato skins for the Super Bowl. In case you wanted to make your own, here's how I did it.

Start with as many potatos as you want. I only really wanted 4, since we are a family of 4 and the kids have a combined appetite of one person.



Give them a really good scrub, poke them with a fork a few times, and then pop them in a 400F (200C) oven for anywhere between 30-60 minutes. The bigger they are, the longer they take.

Once they are cooked, let them cool to room temperature so you don't burn your hand off trying to finish preparing them. Not that I'd know anything about that. Ahem.

Prepare your frying pan by dumping in a bunch of oil & turning on the burner. I did a 60:40 mix of olive oil and vegetable oil.



While the oil is heating, slice each potato in half, and scoop out as much of the middle as you like. I like to leave a bit on the sides, but not so much on the bottom. By the time you are finished with this, your oil should be hot & ready to go. Pop those suckers right in!!



The seasoning you see is garlic powder - season to taste. You may notice there's only 6 skins in here - I did not fry nor season the skins for the kids. They'll live a little longer because of it. :)

After several minutes, take them out, put them back on the cookie sheet, and fill them with whatever your little heart desires. I stayed simple - a dallop of butter on the bottom, cheese, and bacon bits. Other ideas: olives, scallions, onions, peppers, jalopenos.... the possibilities are endless.

Pop them back into the oven (still 400F) for as long as it takes the cheese to melt. Enjoy!!

No comments: