Thursday, February 14, 2008

That Sound You Heard Was My Heart Getting All Smooshy

I've never been a big fan of Valentine's Day. The snarky side of me HATES the fact that it's totally a Hallmark-created holiday. The practical side of me always says "we really don't need to do anything special for each other just because it's February 14." The sentimental side of me always twinges when he listens to me and really doesn't do anything.

The students at school always manage to pump each other full of sugar (not to mention the teachers who schedule "fun" activities that always seem to include sugared food as well!).

The icing on the cake was when at 6:45am Husband asked me if I minded if he worked late. For reasons not worth getting into now, he really did need to put in some extra hours to avoid having to use his paid-time-off.

All this to say that although I wasn't really in a funk, I was certainly not at my best when interacting with the kids. Bug ended up in bed very early when instead of cleaning, he was merely languishing on the floor instead - clearly tired. (and he did fall asleep rather quickly!). Bird, on the other hand, chattered away for quite some time.

Ordinarily, this is not a problem, but last night she kept calling me in to talk to me. "Can you refill my cup? What's your name? How do you spell it? Can I have a hug? How do you spell Dad? Do I really have dance class tomorrow?" Until finally I told her in no uncertain terms - IT IS BEDTIME. You can stay up & play quietly if you are not tired, but you need to do it by yourself. She agreed, and I thought that was the end for last night.

Until she called me one more time. And I was not a happy camper when I went back in there.

Except she gave me this. Not just random letters. Her first real words, other than her name. And not just any words.



This post could alternatively be titled Why I'm Now Two Inches Tall.

3 comments:

RachelC said...

*melt*

Anonymous said...

that is precious!! You should take that to the kindergarten teacher!!! "Yes, she knows her letters and how to use them!!"
God is amazing! He gives us just what we need to see the world right again!

Mid-Life Mother said...

Awww! Melts a Mom's heart, eh?!