Friday, February 29, 2008

Shower Epiphany

A lot of really good or really bizarre thinking happens in my shower. Which makes a lot of sense, honestly. Usually my shower occurs when the kids are either still sleeping or playing with Daddy, so I have a few moments to myself to ponder the hot water & whatever happens to be rolling around in my brain.

Recently I was pondering prayers. I am always in awe of people who talk about how they've been praying for their child's future (be it for their future spouse, for them to be truly wise, whatever...) since the child was born/very little. (These are folks who have children who are nearly full grown or older.)

At the same time, I have found that both to be truly admirable as well as a bit puzzling. Because, really, what is the person hoping for? That the sheer volume of prayers will result in what they want/need? While that sort of dedication is commendable, the thinking seems a bit skewed to me. (Not to mention that there could be other reasons that I haven't even thought of!)

Which is when it occured to me... maybe all that praying is so that God will make YOU the sort of parent you are supposed to be for your children to meet that kind of end. Kind of humbling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jaime!
It is humbling that God would even see me fit enough to raise these two precious children of His. I pray I don't screw them up too much!!