Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Strawberry Bread (or, how to recover when you totally screw up the recipe)

I was trying to create an appetizer from things I (mostly) already had in my refrigerator. When it comes down to it, I was REALLY trying to find a way to use all these lovely strawberries before they went bad:




So naturally I went to Chef Google and asked him how to make strawberry appetizers. After a bit of reading, I decided to make a sauce/frosting out of strawberry cream cheese, sour cream, and a bit of powdered sugar.

As far as amounts go..... I was pretty much just throwing things into the bowl until they tasted good. But judging from the picture, I used about half of an 8-oz tub of cream cheese, and a little more than half of an 8-oz container of sour cream. There are a couple tablespoonfulls of powdered sugar in there.



Now, while the mixture tasted good, it was a little too runny for my needs, so I popped it into the freezer for about 10-15 minutes.

Then I used my frosting squirter to pipe it onto the strawberries.



Now, I was worried about the sauce getting too soft again, so I put the whole tray into my freezer - they would have about 30 minutes to set, and would very easily soften before it was time to eat them.

Except.

Well, except that I guess I didn't put the tray into the freezer too well, because when I opened the door, the entire thing came leaping out to greet me!

Thankfully, the lid was on tightly, so nothing fell out, but it definitely wasn't pretty anymore.

Out came the chopper!! Slowly, I turned my not-so-pretty strawberries into a lovely pulverized mess.





Then I spooned some of the strawberry pulp onto a triangle of crescent roll....



... rolled them, and baked them.




Oh my word, they were SUPERB!!! A very tasty treat. More like a bruch food than an appetizer. I'd definitely make these again.

1 comment:

. said...

Mmmmm. They look yummy. We don't have those cresent roll pack things in the UK. Which is a shame, because I was looking at another yummy looking recipe using them last week.

LOL @ the sink shot too.

xMx