Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 5: Into the West

Wednesday, June 11

Fast Facts
:
Starting: Illinois
Ending: Missouri
Today's Mileage/Total Mileage: 329 mi (529 km)/1490 mi (2398 km)

As it turns out, one way to test your marriage is to drive along back roads in hopes of finding the nearest interstate heading west. Husband was confident in Google Maps, but it really freaked me out that all we saw for miles was this:



This is not interstate. It is not a US route. It's not even a state route. This is something like Joe's Road, and it kept taking us through very scary looking parts of the state (why yes, I am a big chicken, thanks for asking). I swore I heard banjos a couple of times.

Sure enough, Husband was validated when we found the Interstate right where Google said it would be. (whew!) Not long after, we crossed the Mississippi River

this is the best picture I could get since we're going rather fast & I haven't perfected the technique yet

and found ourselves officially in the West.

We continued driving until we reached the outskirts of Branson, Missouri. (state motto: You will learn how to drive on treacherous hilly roads or die trying.)

Even the campground was insanely hilly. I tried to capture the essence of the hilliness with this photo of our campsite, but I don't think I succeeded. Suffice it to say that there was quite a bit of pressure on your toes as you walk down this road. (Not to mention that there was a rather steep drop on the OTHER side of the tent. We were very close to just tying the kids to us.)



Oh, and if you were wondering, this was about halfway to the bathrooms. It wouldn't have been so bad if there wasn't an empty tent spot RIGHT NEXT TO the bathhouse.

It did, however, have a really cute wading pool.



To be continued....

1 comment:

. said...

I swore I heard banjos a couple of times.

Okay, I just nearly ruined my work computer keyboard by spitting tea at it. That was TOO funny :)

Glad you're having a good trip. You're a braver woman than me camping with two munchkins!

xMx