Thursday, June 21, 2007

Applesauce Bread

Last week, we ran out of bread; I forgot we were home all the time for summer & didn't plan accordingly! Since I also a bit lazy I did not want to pack the kids up & go to the grocery store either. So I pulled out this recipe for applesauce bread that sounded interesting but I'd never actually tried. Not too bad, but we made it again today & it came out much better!

Ingredients
1/3 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups applesauce
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 (about 175C)
In mixing bowl cream together butter and sugar.
Add egg and applesauce; mix well.

In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cloves.



Gradually add to the creamed mixture just until combined. (I used a regular spoon, not the mixer, at this point)
Pour into greased bread pan.


Bake for 60-65 minutes. (This is where the recipe & I parted ways. I have an oven that I affectionately refer to as my "portal to Hades." My first loaf was burnt at the 50 minute mark. This time, between 40-45 minutes was perfect.)

mmmmm.... tasty finished bread!!


If you wait a few minutes to slice it, you should be fine, but if you are impatient like we are the bread is a little crumbly. Tastes great as is, or with some butter & jelly.


No comments: