Friday, June 1, 2007

I'm still here!!

What a week!! I tell you, there were times when I was starting to think that postplanning was way worse than actually teaching! But I finally turned in my supply list request for next year, finished cleaning my room, and shut everything down. Yay!!

Of course, since I was spending all day, every day doing that, I don't have too much to say now. So you get the benefits of my stream of consciousness today.

Since my kids spent so much time at the sitter's this week, we are staying home today. Well, that, and the fact that Peanut has come to play with us today! Peanut is Bug's age (so, a couple months over 2 years), and she became a big sister this week. Not a bad day so far - nobody is screaming, and the house is a wreck. Signs of good times!

Peanut is quite the talker - far more than Bug is (he definitely is a man of few words), and it's been so much fun listening to that cute little voice. She's also as much a self-entertainer as Bird ever was (which is a LOT).

But there's this quality about her that just so cute & adorable, and I've been trying to figure out what it is. I think it's that she's just happiness & light, and she comes across as just a sweet little kid. It reminds me a lot of the way my daughter used to be (she still is, but since she's now 4 it's not quite the same). They are both very textbook girls - the kinds of babies that love to talk & play & snuggle - all the stereotypical good stuff.

However, it's just a glaring reminder of how my son does not act. (and no, this is not about to turn into complaining about him!). I guess so you can fully appreciate that statement, I should describe him a little more. Bug was born a very cranky, grumpy old man. He was mad at the world and was not afraid to tell you about it. (and his cries! they were not cries.... bellows would be a better description) Before his first birthday, I cannot recall too many times that anybody caught the kid smiling.

After his birthday, things started to change a bit. He became more & more self-sufficient as he started crawling & eventually walking (17 months! why did the super cranky one not walk till 17 months!). He could feed himself. And gradually we started to see a change in him. He seemed to be at better odds with the world. He smiles a lot, and even laughs nowadays. Today drove home to me how much more serious he is in general, though. He plays and pretends and has fun, but it's just not the same as Bird or Peanut.

All that to say that I love him dearly and wouldn't change a thing. It makes his snuggling that much more special though.

Guess I could have just said that, but one sentence?! What kind of a thoughtful post would that be?

No comments: