Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I smell a conspiracy

The power bill came in the mail yesterday. It was $60 MORE this month than last month.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out which appliance(s) is (are?) sucking the very lifeblood out of the local power plant. As an experiment, I turned off the AC during the day (and then take the children off someplace or we would surely melt). It is running at night, but it's always been running at night. I have not been doing extra loads of laundry or dishes or... whatever! The hot water heater is capped. I just cannot figure out what the difference is, unless fuel just costs more during the summer months.

I really just want my AC to die; it is 20 years old and is so stinkin' inefficient it scares me. (For lots of reasons, we can only get a new one if this one completely dies.)

I was a bit disappointed by the whole no-AC experiment, until I looked up last year's bills & saw that the power bill this time last year really was sky-high. $60 more than it was this time around. So, I'm glad I'm saving us money, but I need to go find a popsicle now.

No comments: